Thursday, August 22, 2013

Drool Inducing, Crock-pot Pulled Pork

I know I posted a recipe last week, and I had planned on writing a snippet about my Crossfit experience, but after yesterday's lunch I have to spread the love with this new recipe I tried out! (I may or may not have had it for dinner, as well.)

So my Crossfit coach, Katie, was telling a couple of us about an easy crock-pot recipe that only consisted of two ingredients: pork roast and bacon. Wrapping pork in more pork??? Yes please!

I love pork! I grew up not caring for it so much. Looking back, it was because the only way I had ever experienced pork was smothered in Shake-n-Bake, baked to oblivion and then dipped in ketchup. It was like chewing on a shoe, dipped in ketchup. Just thinking about it makes me throw up a little in my mouth. I had never tasted the deliciousness that is a pork loin roast.

Since making this discovery, I have made many a pork roast in my crock-pot. Today was no exception. I took the recipe my coach told me about, combined it with the seasoning from another recipe, added a twist of my own and it came out AH-Mazing! I will write the recipe just as I made it, but you could most definitely half it if you want less pork or have a small crock-pot. Here goes:


Crock-Pot Pulled Pork

Ingredients:
4lbs Pork Roast (I happened to use pork butt, but shoulder or loin would work beautifully)
Bacon (as much as you'd like)
3 Tbsp Spice Rub (see recipe below)
1 20oz Can of Crushed Pineapple

Spice Rub** Recipe:
1 Tbsp Paprika (I used sweet, the recipe called for smoked, you can use whatever you have)
1 Tbsp Sea Salt
1 Tbsp Crushed Chipotle Pepper
1 Tbsp Onion Powder
1/2 Tbsp Cinnamon
1/2 Tbsp Pepper (I used white, original recipe calls for black)

Combine all spices and mix thoroughly.

Pulled Pork Directions:
1. Either spray your crock-pot well with non-stick spray or line with one of those fancy crock-pot liners (I've never used one but I hear they work wonders).

2. Cover the bottom of crock-pot with a layer of bacon. Sprinkle one side of roast with 1 1/2 tablespoons of spice mix (or to taste), lightly rub into pork. Place spiced side down on top of bacon. Sprinkle 1 1/2 tablespoons spice mix (or to taste) onto other side of roast and lightly rub in. After roast is seasoned, cover with another layer of bacon. This is where you could put more or less bacon, depending on your obsession with bacon.

3. Dump crushed pineapple over the top of roast and bacon. Cover crock-pot with lid and set on low for 10 hours.

4. After 10 hours pass, take forks or tongs and shred pork. Stir around in the juices so everything is nicely combined.

5. (This step is optional). Let shredded roast sit mixed in the juices for at least a half hour. (I left it for 2 hours, but I was super busy doing other things. The longer it sits in the juices, the better it gets.)

If you use four pounds it makes a LOT of pork. I made that much because we always make meals ahead of time to have for the week. After 10 hours in the crock-pot the meat just fell apart with my tongs. It was glorious. This was SO good, I WILL be making it again in the not-so-distance future.

I have a feeling this would be equally delectable with a beef roast!

Eat. Drink. Squat.

**The spice rub recipe is from the book Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo.




No comments:

Post a Comment