Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Leg Day...who needs it?

Some of you may know that this summer I've taken on several projects.  After finishing the veggie bed two weeks ago, the man-candy & I jumped right into the next (& much longer project) of re-doing our ENTIRE deck.

We spent all of last week staining & Monday & Tuesday of this week placing boards just on the front leg of our deck.  My ass & thighs are insanely sore from bending, stooping & squatting.

Instead of just bending at the waist, I thought I'd work my legs & ass by engaging those muscles, as well as tightening my core, when needing to rip out old screws (which believe it or not is the HARDEST part given that the screws are old, sunk, & stuck in 30 year old swollen boards), set in new boards, & screw those in place.   The result is the most productive ass & leg work out I'd ever imagined.

The problem of course lies in the lack of range of leg & ass exercises (since it's mostly squats, dead lifts, & the skip-a-step lunges on the stairs since the deck is on the second floor).  BUT since I'm using real life scenarios (muscles being engaged all over the body), I don't feel entirely lacking just yet. 

It made me think about how I sometimes would carry my groceries from the car into the house in one trip while lifting them like dumbbells, how I would walking lunges while vacuuming, or ass & thigh clenches during my crazy long commute in grad school.  How do you incorporate "exercise" into your daily routine?  Share your tips below!

1 comment:

  1. At work, while sitting all day, I try to tighten my abs and hold for 10 seconds and then release, repeat. I don't do it enough but when I'm aware, I try to keep it up. Also, kegels. Always kegels :)

    ReplyDelete