Tuesday, May 14, 2013

I LOVE CABBAGE

Truth: I eat cabbage almost every day. Seriously.....I LOVE CABBAGE (and I'm not afraid to admit it.)
Here are some cabbage facts I found today and a little info on how good it is for you!  I have a couple  yummy recipes  using this amazing Super Food--one is even served at the famous and amazing Northwoods Inn restaurant!  So come on give cabbage a chance to make you feel alive from the inside out.

Health benefits of cabbage (Seriously EAT IT):

  • Fiber: Cabbage is a stomach's best friend. Like its trendier cousins brussel sprouts, broccoli, and kale, cabbage is an amazing source of fiber. Raw cabbage has also been shown to help cure stomach ulcers.
  • Antioxidants: Red cabbage is chock full of anthocyanins, a type of antioxidant commonly found in blue, purple, and red plants. Studies show antioxidants can reduce inflammation, provide cancer protection, and boost brain function.
  • Lowers cholesterol: Look to this superfood for a natural and effective cholesterol reducer. Cabbage prevents bile from absorbing fat after a meal, which lowers the overall amount of cholesterol in the body.
  • Glucosinolates: Cabbage contains sulfur-based compounds called glucosinolates that have anti-carcinogenic properties. In the body, glucosinolates become compounds called isothiocyanates, which some studies suggest inhibit the growth of cancer cells.

(info above courtesy of http://greatist.com/health/superfood-cabbage and there are more amazing recipes if you check out their site by following the link)

And of course when you consume cabbage raw the health benefits are the strongest. I do this--I EAT IT RAW most of the time. I love the angle hair shredded cabbage that you can find in the coleslaw area of your local grocery store, or you can shred it yourself (yes sometimes I'm super lazy and I buy it pre-shredded, that way I'm sure to eat it because its ready for me.)

I eat so much cabbage I have totally replaced lettuce in my diet with it. 


I use it in taco salads. I add it to chili, soups, any kind of cooked chicken! Almost anything I eat, I add cabbage to. It's super crunchy and just soooooo yummy, and it fills you up so you eat less.

HELLOOOOOO! High nutritional value and it helps you eat less?! no wonder its a SUPER FOOD.

Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. Do you add the chicken to the food processor raw? That seems kinda gross and not very sanitary.
    The recipe sounds really good. I love cabbage as well. I still like my lettuce for some dishes, but cabbage is also very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do grind up my own meat so I know what is in it, but I sanitize it after in bleach and wash it then stick it in the dish washer. Works for me :)

      Delete